Argentina Cordoba Temple

Argentina Cordoba Temple

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Well, its nuts.

I thought I knew Spanish...Well, I do, it's just that they don't speak it here!  They speak what they call Castellano.  I still don't know what it means and besides that, it's just a hundred percent slang, using the form "Vos."  When I got to Buenos Aires, I was just like Qué?  Haha but my mission president is amazing here in Cordoba. He loves that I'm Chilean too haha, so I have already gotten on his good side. ;)

Argentina is way different oh my goodness!  I just wanna say one thing to all the people that complain about the US...STOP IT!  Whether its politics, taxes or whatever, Argentina is nothing compared to the US.  $8 dollars for a gallon of gas, bad living conditions, etc.  I have learned to love my country so much!  My companion is awesome.  His name is Elder Lakey from Utah.  Nothing like 2 gringos walking together on the streets of Argentina haha.  He´s only got like 3 months left so he's helped me so much to just get used to it, especially with a couple pranks...

1) "Porqueria" is a way to say disgusting. He told me that it was a way to say delicious!  Oh my goodness, I said it to everyone I swear it’s so bad!  I'm glad that no one was offended lol.

2) There's a family in our ward. He told me that the Father was less active and the mom was not a member.  We ate at their house and Elder Lakey says, "If we drink that cerveza (alcohol), will you be baptized?" She said yes and he drank it.  I was just like oh my goodness what just happened.  They told me to drink it and of course, I said no!  My companion stormed out the door and when I get out he is laughing so hard.  Turns out they filled the bottle with apple juice and both parents were active members of the Church.  Ridiculous.  He's lucky I can take a prank.  Haha, I thought it was hilarious after, but not while it happened!

We ended the week with a baptism...in the river!  It was absolutely amazing to have a baptism in the first week.  We are working on marrying his parents so they can be baptized too!

I love this gospel so much and every day I´m learning to speak like an Argentine.  It's just the rhythm I can't explain it.  I understand more every day and I'm so happy to be here. I can't wait to share more stories with you next week :)

Love,
Elder Pomar